Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beer blogging: Magic Hat Roxy Rolles

Another Aus-US difference: the supermarkets carry decent beer in the US.

And all the breweries do seasonal beers. Nearly all for under $10 a six pack. I don't think they pay excise based on alcohol content like in Aus so even the heavy beers are the same price.

Tonight I went food shopping and spotted these:



Magic Hat "Roxy Rolles" Winter Hoppy Amber Ale. A bit early I guess, I was still in a T-shirt (16 degrees celcius outside). The shelves are still full of Octoberfest beers.

So the amber ale is pretty good, very rich, and good bit of complexity. Nice dark amber colour, almost red if I hold it up the light. A little malty on the nose, some caramel notes, some piney hops. Medium body, good hoppy bitter kick at first, but overall malty finish which balances it nicely.

Wouldn't hesitate to get this again.

No comments: